Monday, October 10, 2011

Paula Deen Baked French Toast Casserole

I found my recipe here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/baked-french-toast-casserole-with-maple-syrup-recipe2/index.html

It is definitely not healthy, so I probably wouldn't make it for my family for breakfast... but it would be a nice dish to bring to a brunch gathering!

I only used about half of the "liquid" ingredients (some reviews said it was soggy, which I wanted to avoid). My changes are reflected in the recipe below:


Ingredients
1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
4 large eggs
1 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash salt

Praline Topping, recipe follows

Directions
Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (I actually just bought pre-sliced french bread from the reduced-price section, so my slices were at most 1/2" thick). Generously spray a 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Dip each bread slice in the mixture, flipping it over to make sure it is saturated, then place in baking dish. Line the bread slices in rows, overlapping each slice. Pour remaining mixture over the bread slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight (I did not do this)


When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden.

Praline Topping:

1/4 C butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.

No comments: