Thursday, August 4, 2011

Ensalada De Chayote- By Amanda Bingham

I though I would post the original recipe if anyone was feeling adventurous (I have to use either Paul or Google translate if I cant remember something).
1 lb Chayotes (they look like green pears, and are by all the peppers in Meijer, which is the only place I have seen them).
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 tbsp Poblano pepper, chopped (remove the seeds, they are the hot part of this pepper)

Dressing
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Juice of 2 lemons
1/4 cup olive oil

Peel the chayotes with a potato peeler (I suggest wearing rubber or latex gloves when doing this, the juice from the chayotes does weird things to my hands). Cut into quarters, then cover with water and boil on the stove until tender (about 25 minutes). Meanwhile, combine the onions, bell peppers, and poblano peppers. When the chayotes are done, cut them into small cubes and let them cool, and then combine them with the peppers and onions.
Combine the dressing ingredients, and blend until smooth using a food processor or blender. Combine the salad and dressing, and let sit in refrigerator for one hour to allow the flavors to mix.

No comments: