Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cuban Black Beans & Whole Wheat Tortillas

I will write this as a pressure cooker recipe, because that's the way I do it...but you can definitely use a crockpot and just cook however long you need until the beans reach your desired tenderness.

For pressure cooking, if you're ever curious how long to cook beans, I like to use the bean chart on this website: http://fastcooking.ca/pressure_cookers/cooking_times_pressure_cooker.php

I tend to mostly soak my beans...so I still need to cook them longer than truly soaked beans. :) And I usually do a half natural/half quick release on the pressure...just depending on when I started them cooking and when we're actually eating. I will throw in a shout out at this point to my electric pressure cooker. I think that it is amazing. If you're ever in the market, let me know and I can tell you more about it. :) All that being said, I usually cook my beans on high pressure for about 15 minutes. But different pressure cookers cook differently and it all varies depending on how soaked your beans are...so play around with it until you find what works for you. :)

Onto the recipe: Cuban Black Beans
  • 2 c. dry black beans
  • 5 c. water
  • 2 bell peppers, chopped (I never do that much...I just do however much I feel like)
  • 1 lg. onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper, or to taste
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 T. sugar
  • dash of olive oil

Add ingredients together and mix, cook on high pressure until done. If you want to add salt (I never do) wait until after they are cooked, otherwise you will end up with hard beans.

As an option, if you'd like when they are done you can take out a cup of cooked beans, and blend it with 2 T. vinegar and 2 T. red wine (or broth) and then return it to the pot and mix with other beans. I have never done this, but the original recipe calls for it, so I figured I'd throw it in there. :)

We love these beans on burritos with cilantro lime rice, but they're good with just rice too. :)

I didn't actually serve these tortillas at the recipe group, but I do make my own whole wheat tortillas and I think they're pretty good, so I'll throw that recipe in here too:

Whole Wheat Tortillas
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour (you can obviously use white flour if you're not into whole wheat stuff, but I prefer the whole wheat ones :) )
  • 1 T. vital wheat gluten (if you don't have gluten around, you can substitute 1/4 c. white flour for wheat flour and that should do the trick)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. vegetable oil (I use canola)
  • 3/4 c. warm milk

Mix together the flour, gluten, baking powder, salt and oil.
Slowly add the warm milk.
Stir until a loose, sticky ball is formed.
Knead for two minutes on a floured surface. Dough should be firm and soft.
Place dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap for 20 minutes.
After the dough has rested, break off eight sections, roll them into balls in your hands, place on a plate (make sure they aren’t touching) and then cover balls with damp cloth or plastic wrap for 10 minutes. (It’s very important to let the dough rest, otherwise it will be like elastic and won’t roll out to a proper thickness and shape.)
After dough has rested, one at a time place a dough ball on a floured surface, pat it out into a four-inch circle, and then roll with a rolling pin from the center until it’s thin and about eight inches in diameter. (If you roll out pie crusts you’ll have no problem with this.) Don’t over work the dough, or it’ll be stiff. Keep rolled-out tortillas covered until ready to cook.
In a dry iron skillet or comal heated on high, cook the tortilla about thirty seconds on each side. It should start to puff a bit when it’s done. (I do this on my electric griddle or a frying pan.)
Keep cooked tortillas covered wrapped in a napkin until ready to eat.
Can be reheated in a dry iron skillet, over your gas-burner flame or in the oven wrapped in foil.
While you probably won’t have any leftovers, you can store in the fridge tightly wrapped in foil or plastic for a day or so.
Makes eight tortillas.

(I always double the recipe.)

To give credit where credit's due, I got the tortilla recipe from this blog: http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2007/03/and-end-to-my-quest-flour-tortillas.html and tweaked it.

No comments: