Friday, March 23, 2012

Hummus

  • 1 can white beans
  • 1 can garbanzo beans
  • 2 T. - 1/4 c. olive oil*
  • 4-6 T. water*
  • 1/4 c. tahini (ground sesame seeds)
  • 2-3 garlic cloves
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt or kosher salt
  • a splash (or more) of lemon juice (optional)

In a food processor (or blender), mix the beans, oil and water. Add remaining ingredients and mix.

*The original recipe calls for 1/4 c. olive oil. You can cut down the olive oil to cut down on the fat/calories by doing 2 T. olive oil and water to still make it fluffy. Start out by adding 4 T. of water to see what the consistency is like - add more if needed. If you use 1/4 c. olive oil, you don't need to add the water. (I actually usually add more water because I like it that way. :) )

--A couple notes. I usually cook the beans from dry (instead of using cans), so I use 1 1/2 c. cooked beans per can called for in the recipe. Also, I always just use regular salt, not kosher or sea salt. And when I don't have tahini on hand, I add a spoonful of peanut butter to replace the tahini. Also, I found that when I make it in my blender, I need to add more water to keep my blender from overheating.

No comments: