Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Southwestern Stuffed Peppers

I think these peppers tasted great, but for me the texture was a bit off (we like more crisp/juicy stuffed peppers than soft). I used brown rice instead of the white rice called for in the recipe, so that was probably the cause of my increased cooking time/temperature. In the future I would most likely use left-over rice to cut down on cooking time (for more crisp texture), but overall they were good!

I got my recipe from: http://www.momswhothink.com/crock-pot-recipes/southwestern-stuffed-peppers.html

Ingredients:

4 green bell peppers
15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
4 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese (I just used cheddar and mozzarella)
3/4 cup medium salsa
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/3 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
sour cream (optional)

Directions:

1. Cut thin slice off top of each bell pepper. Carefully remove seeds and
membrane, leaving pepper whole.
2. Combine beans, cheese, salsa, corn, onions, rice, chili powder and cumin
in medium bowl.
3. Spoon filling evenly into each pepper. Place peppers in crockpot.
4. Cover; cook on LOW 4 to 6 hours. Serve with sour cream, if desired.

No comments: