Thursday, March 3, 2011

Gyoza - Japanese Potstickers

My best childhood friend is Japanese, and I fondly remember eating potstickers at her house. This recipe is not from her, but I think it turned out delicious!

Adapted from japanesefood.about.com

Ingredients:

1 cup (or more, depending on preference) finely chopped cabbage (excess water removed by sprinkling with salt, letting it sit, then squeezing out excess moisture--don't know if this step is necessary)
2 Tbsp chopped green onion
1/2 lb ground pork
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
2 Tbsps soy sauce
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp grated fresh ginger--(I didn't have this, so I put in one dash ground ginger to make myself feel like I made some effort)
20 or so gyoza wrappers (I filled 25)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil

*For dipping sauce
2:1 ratio of soy sauce and rice vinegar (I didn't have this, so I made it with 2 T soy sauce, 1 tsp white vinegar and 2 tsp water, since white vinegar is stronger than rice vinegar)

Preparation:
Combine all ingredients other than oil in a bowl and mix well by hands. Place a heaping teaspoon-ful of gyoza filling in a gyoza wrapper and put water along the edge of the wrapper by fingers. Make a semicircle, gathering the front side of the wrapper and sealing the top (look online if you want more specific instructions for this). Heat oil in a frying pan. Put gyoza in the pan and fry on high heat until the bottoms become brown. Turn down the heat to low. Add 1/4 cup water in the pan. Cover the pan and steam the gyoza on low heat until the water is gone. Serve gyoza with dipping sauce on the side. For the dipping sauce, mix a 2:1 ratio of soy sauce to rice vinegar. Enjoy!

No comments: